|08:30 – 10:00||Registration||08:30 – 09:00||Registration||Registration||Registration||Session 13|
|10:00 – 10:30||Congress Opening||09:00 – 11:30||Session 4||Session 7||Session 10|
|10:30 – 11:30||Keynotes||11:30 – 12:00||Coffee break||Coffee break||Coffee break||Coffee break|
|11:30 – 12:00||Coffee break||12:00 – 14:00||Session 5||Session 8||Session 11||Session 14|
|12:00 – 14:00||Session 1||14:00 – 15:00||LUNCH||LUNCH||LUNCH||LUNCH|
|14:00 – 15:00||LUNCH|
|15:00 – 17:30||Session 2||15:00 – 17:30||Session 6||Session 9||Session 12||Session 15|
|17:30 – 18:00||Coffee break||17:30 – 18:00||Coffee break||Coffee break||Coffee break||CLOSING CEREMONY|
|18:00 – 20:30||Session 3||18:00 – 19:00||Keynotes||Keynotes||Keynotes||City tour|
|20:30-22:00||WELCOME RECEPTION||19:30 – 21:00||IASS/AIS GENERAL ASSEMBLY|
MoMuS/Museum of Modern Arts (Auditorium)
|Early Career Researchers meeting/|
Semiotic Journals Editors
|19:30 – 21:30 GALA DINNER|
War Museum Gardens
- All Congress events – except for the IASS/AIS General Assembly and the Gala Dinner – take place at the University of Macedonia (Egnatias 156, 54 636 Thessaloniki)
- Onsite Registration payments (for both participants and attendees) start on Monday 29 August (09:00 – 14:00) and will continue throughout the Congress days (Tuesday 30 August: 08:30 – 10:00, Wed/Thurs/Fri 31 Aug/1 & 2 Sept.: 08:30 – 09:00) at the Reception Desk (Univ. of Macedonia Foyer, ground floor) (cash only).
- Participants/Attendees who have already paid their registration fees can pick up their Congress pack starting from Monday 29 August (09:00 – 14:00) and throughout the Congress days (Tue/Wed/Thurs/Fri 30 & 31 Aug/1 & 2 Sept.: 08:30 – 14:00) at the Reception Desk (Univ. of Macedonia Foyer, ground floor)
- Those interested to attend the Gala Dinner (Friday 2 Sept., 19:30 – 21:30) must register at the Reception Desk until Wednesday 31 Aug./15:00, paying € 20 (cash only).
- Those interested to attend the City Tour (Saturday3 Sept., 18:00) must register at the Reception Desk until Friday 2 Sept./15:00, paying € 10 (cash only).
Jury Lotman 100
2022 is the centenary of the birth of Jury Lotman (1922-2022), the renowned Russian-Estonian semiotician (http://jurilotman.ee ). In collaboration with the University of Tartu, the Estonian Semiotics Association and the Juri Lotman Repository, the 15th World Congress of Semiotics will devote a special section of its scientific program (specially themed panels, roundtables and keynotes) on Lotman’s work, as well as host a series of special events (masterclasses, a virtual book exhibition of translations of Lotman’s works, screening of Lotman’s video-lectures). Details about the Lotman 100 related activities will be announced presently.
3rd Semiotics Journals Fair
The Third Journals Fair of the IASS will consist of an initial gathering in Thessaloniki featuring an explanation, by each editor of a semiotics journal present, in NO MORE THAN TWO English sentences, of each journal’s specific mission. Then editors will disperse to tables allotted to their journals where they can meet potential contributors from the audience and distribute relevant information, publicity etc. associated with their journals. Early career researchers, especially, are invited to seize this opportunity to speak with semiotics journals editors about their projects and potential publications. Among the editors present will be those for Semiotica, Social Semiotics, Punctum, Digital Age in Semiotics and Communication, and others.
Early Career Researchers Meeting
Further to the IASS-sponsored First World Meeting of Early Career Researchers in Semiotic Studies, held in Medellin, Columbia https://iass-ais.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Medellin-ECR-meeting-programme-2020.pdf, the IASS will now launch an Early Career Researcher Network. Led by Jorge Eduardo Urueña López (Latin America), Pengjia (Asia), Alin Olteanu (Europe) and Damien Tomaselli (Africa), the launch event in Thessaloniki will seek to bring together ECRs in semiotics across the globe in order to find ways to collaborate, to promote semiotics and to thrive. All IASS members are welcome, but the Network will look to attract the participation of members who have gained a PhD within the last 8, as well as PhD, Masters and undergraduate students”.
Semiotics Journals Exhibition
Whether in print or online-only, semiotic journals around the world are flourishing, evidencing the international momentum gained by semiotics in recent years. Starting with Kaunas (2016), the semiotics journals exhibition forms a standard feature of the World Congresses of Semiotics, aiming to showcase their wide variety and geographical distribution.
Publishers of semiotic journals, interested to be included in the exhibition, are welcome to send sample copies of their publication to the following address:
Laboratory of Semiotics
Faculty of Philosophy (New Building)
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Contact person: George Damaskinidis (email@example.com )
New Book Launches
On Wednesday 31 August, 19:30 – 20:30, in Room 5 (1st floor),the following three new books on translation will be presented:
- Translation, Semiotics, and Feminism: Selected Writings of Barbara Godard, edited by Eva C. Karpinski and Elena Basile. London: Routledge, 2022.
- Exploring the Translatability of Emotions: Cross-Cultural and Transdisciplinary Encounters, edited by Susan Petrilli and Meng Ji. London, Palgrave-Macmillan, 2022.
- Intersemiotic Approaches to Emotions. Translating across Signs, Bodies and Values, edited by Susan Petrilli and Meng Ji. London, Routledge, 2022.
15th World Congress
Share on Social Media
Subscribe to updates
Subscribe to updates